Instrument Rating

EASA CB-IR(A) Theory 

The instrument flight rating is one of the more difficult yet rewarding ratings you'll pursue during your flight training.

By publishing the CB-IR (Competency Based Instrument Rating) EASA finally made the instrument rating easier to achieve for the General Aviation Segment. EASAs motivation for doing this was clear:

Easier access for GA pilots to Instrument Flying Rules (IFR) flying is considered a high-priority measure that will improve the safety and utility of GA flying.

Additional reading:

CB-IR or BIR? By Erlend Våge

EASA CB-IR By Patrick Lienhart

CB-IR course 2-2

Course pricing


What's included in the course? 

Web-based distance learning course (18 months access)

Textbook: EIR/CBIR by Phil Croucher

Jeppesen Student Manual (GPSRM)

Instrument Flight Procedures PANS-OPS

Close follow-up by instructor

Help with EASA Exams registration

Groundschool course 19 hours

(location: Oslo, Norway)

Course literature

The required course material is included in the course package. In addition, we recommend the following book series:

«CB-IR Series» by Erlend Våge, available as e-book from  Apple or Google Play, or as paperback

    Course structure

    CB-IR theory

    The course is primarily a distance learning course on itslearning (online portal) followed by a 19 hours  classroom course in Oslo. There are 7 subjects covered:

    1. Air law

    2. Instrumentation

    3. Flight planning and monitoring

    4. Human performance

    5. Meteorology

    6. Radio navigation

    7. Communications

    About the rating


    Both the EASA IR and EASA CB-IR lead to the exact same privileges (and licence entry). That means you are approved for IFR (including PBN) operations with approach minima as low as 200 fot AGL and RVR 800 meter for single pilot operations (550 meter with approved autopilot). However, if you wish to operate high performance aircraft (HPA) you will need to undertake a separate HPA-course.

    Prerequisites for CB-IR course:

    • PPL(A) or CPL(A)
    • the privileges to fly at night in accordance with FCL.810, if the IR privileges will be used at night

    • Prior to skill-test: at least 50 hours of cross-country flight time as PIC in aeroplanes, TMGs, helicopters or airships, of which at least 10 shall be in the relevant aircraft category.

      Flight training

      The advantage of the CB-IR is, especially for the practical flighttraining, it can be done around your personal, operational and financial priorities. 

      A single-engine competency-based modular IR(A) course must include at least 40 hours of instrument time under instruction, of which up to 25 hours may be done in an

      • FFS (Full Flight Simulator) or
      • FNPT II (Flight Navigation Procedure Trainer).

      When the applicant has completed instrument flight instruction provided by an IRI(A) these hours may be credited towards the 40 hours above up to a maximum of 30 hours. In any case, the flying training shall include at least 10 hours of instrument flight time under instruction in an aeroplane at an ATO.

      This means that 30 of the 40 hours required can be achieved outside an ATO (Approved Training Organisation) with your own airplane and a freelance IR instructor.


      Is the course in Norwegian? 

      The CB-IR(A) course and all associated material is in English

      Is the classroom instruction a "must"? 

      Yes, according to EASA regulations, a certain portion of the CB-IR course has to be conducted by an instructor in a classroom. Due to Covid-19 there are ways of conducting some of this instruction as Virtual Classroom (MS Teams). The amount granted by the authorities are changing, but as of now a certain amount has to be physically in the classroom.

      Do I have to take the EASA exams in Norway? 

      No, you can sit the exams in any EASA member state

      Can you provide classroom instruction outside of Norway?

      Absolutely, depending on demand we are able to accommodate group of students in other parts of Europe. Contact us for more information.

      Do I need to have my PPL before signing up for the course?

      Yes, a PPL(A) or CPL(A) is a prerequisite for beginning the course. However, you do not need the 50 hours of cross-country until you sign up for your skill-test.

        Please get in touch!